Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Rail safety legislation questions

November 05, 2007 02:18PM
This is a bit off-topic, but I'm wondering if there are any current BNSF train service employees here who could send me the text of the letter their management sent out to employees extolling them to contact their federal legislators to oppose the new rail safety act? I've tried the BNSF official site, but one must have an employee number to enter that part of it.

This bill would be a godsend to those in train service, especially those on the extra board, who can presently be called to report for duty in as little as five hours after they have marked off at a terminal. For those who live any distance from the terminal, it sometimes means their head just hits the pillow and the phone rings.. This does not make for safe rail operations, but the companies always put profit before safety, regardless of the slogans on the keychains they pass out.

With just 10 months to go until retirement, I probably won't see it, but it will certainly help those left behind, as it mandates at least 10 hours undisturbed rest as opposed to the present 8 or 10, which translates to 5/7 with a three-hour advance call.

There are other parts of the bill, all good, that mandate further safety and health improvements (such as the elimination of filthy camp cars for M-O-W workers), but the hours-of-service changes are most important to train crews.

The House bill, HR 2095, just passed by a large margin and it now comes before the Senate in three parts, S 918, S 1438 and S 1889, with S 1889 the part with mandatory rest changes.

Here in NY State, our two fine senators were co-sponsors of the bill, but those who live in other states (especially with Republican senators) could help their railroad brothers try to get a life back by contacting their senator to pass this legislation.

Thanks,

Bob Yarger
Subject Author Posted

Rail safety legislation questions

bobyar2001 November 05, 2007 02:18PM

Re: Rail safety legislation questions

Etrump November 06, 2007 02:59PM

Dave Boyer November 07, 2007 07:42AM

tbone November 07, 2007 07:11PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login