Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Aloha Form Hawaii

December 11, 2008 09:39AM
Mr. Atkins

I have visited your railroad on several occasions and would glad to help. As for brake shoes, that depends on the design. Are they flanged or tread shoes? Cast iron or composite? Try Anchor Brake Shoe company, they have a large selection and if they can't help, they probably know who can. Here is the URL. [www.sctco.com] Another avenue is to call the Roaring Camp Railroads in Felton Ca, They have a locomotive similar to your diesel and might be able to help.

Journal box waste is simple cotton batting and a reasonable substitute is available from Granger. I like to use oil sorbent pads cut to fit the journal box. The sorbent "ropes" work well but are messy. Here is the URL for the pads.
[www.grainger.com]

Alternators, I would suggest finding a 12v positive ground alternator. Heres the URL [www.qualitypowerauto.com].

Lets talk locomotives. You want a 25 tonner, is that a critical weight or will you consider something a little bigger. I happen to know of a 50 ton GE diesel electric locomotive at a local narrow gauge railroad that was for sale last I knew. It is in poor condition and will need a lot of work but its not totally lost. It is a center cab design with two diesel engines and main alternators. The trucks are in good shape along with the frame, and the body is fair but will need some significant attention. The major concerns are the engines which will need to be replaced and the electrical system which has not been tested to my knowledge. Its a fixer, but would be an excellent locomotive for your railroad provided the big trestle can handle it. Last I knew the asking price was $60,000. But I think you could cut a deal. If you are interested I will send you the contact info via email.

I will look around for a 25 ton engine for you. I think I know where to find one.

As for the locomotives in Georgetown. I live in Sacramento and have been looking for a steam engine or two for a local narrow gauge railroad museum. The outfit has very little money, but perhaps we can reach an agreement for a lease or something. Give me an asking price for the locomotive you are willing to sell. I might have another investor interested as well.

Aloha

G. Augustus
Sacramento Ca,
Subject Author Posted

Aloha Form Hawaii

Nick @ KPR December 11, 2008 01:47AM

Greg Raven December 11, 2008 06:01AM

ss&s ry 26 December 11, 2008 09:02AM

Nick @ KPR December 11, 2008 04:41PM

KevinO December 12, 2008 08:53AM

Garrett Augustus December 11, 2008 09:39AM

Garrett Augustus December 11, 2008 09:50AM

Andrew Brandon December 11, 2008 10:58AM

Garrett Augustus December 11, 2008 01:57PM

tractor December 11, 2008 06:22PM

Re: Aloha Form Hawaii Attachments

Stephen Peck December 12, 2008 08:00AM

EastbrookBridge October 29, 2014 03:37PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login