Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Documenting Restoration Projects

July 13, 2008 05:08PM avatar
Those of you that have attended Friends of the C&TS work sessions know they try to document each project. The best years were when Les Jarrett video taped the team leader (or designee) who described what was accomplished and what kinds of problems they encountered. At times other presentations have been made to try to pass on information to others who are planning similar projects. Some of you also know that I had documented the progress of 0579 from year to year on a web site.

I was thinking that before I forget, I should write something more comprehensive on the entire project. This subject came up when I realized that in 25 years my son may have the project to rebuild that car (or one like it), and I may not be able to help him. He (or anybody else in that position) may get totally frustrated with the lack of information on how things were done, or more importantly, WHY?.

Given that what is on the web site is probably less than half the information I have on the subject, this is probably going to be a substantial work. Maybe 50 pages or more. To much to expect a magazine (even L&RP, if it was still around) to publish it.

I've come across a "publish on demand" service (www.blurb.com) and thought it might be a good way to publish and sell this information. The good part is there is no upfront cost. The downside is that there's not much chance of making money. I'm not concerned to much with the financials, but done right, maybe this could be a nice fund raiser for future projects. There are more traditional ways to publish something where there is a better return; if you choose to invest up front.

So, getting to the point, do folks here think there is any demand for a fairly detailed book on a specific restoration project ? I think we'd sell at least 2 on the 0579 project. Is this something people might pay $50 for a nicely written book with plenty of color photos ? I'm trying to decide if it is worth investing in a printing run of 100 or more copies.

Bill Kepner
Subject Author Posted

Documenting Restoration Projects

drgw0579 July 13, 2008 05:08PM

Re: Documenting Restoration Projects

drgw0579 July 13, 2008 08:14PM

Randy Hees July 13, 2008 09:57PM

Russo Loco July 13, 2008 11:18PM

Ken S. July 14, 2008 02:43PM

drgw0579 July 15, 2008 07:45AM

Eldon Elmore July 15, 2008 08:56AM

El Nehi July 15, 2008 01:40PM

Keith July 15, 2008 07:29PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login