Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

And yet some more observations

John West
June 26, 2001 02:51PM
I had a ball last week working with Bill Strathearn, John Schwartz, and Glen Hall resusitating the old speeder shed at Cumbres. Glen was supposed to be the chronicler, but we put him to work. And our leader Bob Ground worked his ass off keeping us supplied with tools and material. We turned a run down tar paper shack into a somewhat better tar paper shack.
The highlight of each day was listening to and watching the trains climb Windy Point.
As I commuted past the Chama yard each day on my way "home", it was fascinating to see a drop bottom gon and a boxcar coach almost instantly become skeletons, and then start growing new parts. The boxcar was particularly interesting, since the rebuilding included restoring the structural members in the sides that had been removed in the conversion. It is amazing how quickly progress can be made when there are many hands to help with the work.
Since I'm on the RGRPC board, I got one afternoon off from hard labor to attend a board meeting, and came away feeling the railroad is doing reasonably well. Ridership is ahead of last year, although it is too early to make any predictions for the season. Reservations are strong. Dan seems reasonably comfortable with the condition of the railroad (although it obviously could be better). And the new parlour car service seems to be achieving or exceeding our financial expectations (the big question is whether the red will turn dark or pink as it weathers!). Hopefully the New Mexico legislature and Governor will come through for us with the funding everyone seems to agree we deserve. Lots of work to do, but reason for optimism. Dan has a firm grasp of what is needed.
On Sunday a small group of us rode the train from Sublete to Osier and return to inspect the EDA work. Lots of progress there in building retaining walls and extending shoulders. New rail going into MP 310. Hopefully soon we can start more ballasting and surfacing, and get some kinks out of the curves.
A GREAT week. Trying to figure out a way to do it again in August.
Subject Author Posted

Work Session A Observations

Rich Muth June 25, 2001 09:22AM

Re: Work Session A Observations *PIC*

Greg Scholl June 25, 2001 10:27AM

My Observations

Roger Hogan June 25, 2001 10:12PM

And yet some more observations

John West June 26, 2001 02:51PM

Session C

Bill Kepner June 27, 2001 08:31AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.