June 21, 2001 02:28PM
I could not agree more with this.
I got into the fray in Boulder years ago when a guy there was determined to restore ex-C&N #30-C&S #74- RGS #74 to "operating" condition.
We didn't even have an airpump that was the right size, and the one we did have was bad-order. When asked what we would do about brakes, the guy said "For as little space as we have to run it, we won't need brakes." Then, he proceeded to continue his quest to remove the front end baffles, break off nuts, and otherwise continue to vandalize/destruct the engine for his own amusement and recreation. That did it for me. I see this kind of thing as completely short-sighted, and irresponsible, on the part of not only well-intentioned volunteers and hobbyists, but also local Park authorities and other low-level bureaucrats who are easily fooled by stars in the eyes of those who wish to engage in such folly.
The damage that was done to 74 in those days was never repaired, but it did cause a huge cosmetic effort that carried on for some time, which was of great benefit to the City and display for a long time. Now, there is another effort being made, which, thanks to Grant money, can go way beyond our efforts of 15 years ago and that is a good thing. But the notion that the 74 will be restored to operable condition and run back and forth on a block long piece of track is absolutely ridiculous.
As I have written here before, the City of Boulder's own Environmental Police would prohibit the burning of a coal load in town, and also would probably require everyone involved within a mile of it to wear goggles and helmet.
If there was a plan to put 74 at the Museum in Golden, or provide a long-term lease to either the D&S or C&TS, talk of restoring the engine could make sense. Otherwise, fight the good fight, save these, and other vaulable treasures for the future.
The time has come for 74 and her train to recieve serious attention, and we are all pleased to see coach #280 rebuilt after years of neglect. In another 50 years, she will need to be rebuilt again. So, too, will 74's wood parts and rusted and deteriorated iron. It's the nature of the beast.
But the goal does not have to include operation in the short term. Maybe there will be a place and resources to do the job in another 50 years. We are here today, we won't be here in 50 years. It is our responsibility to be sure that these artifacts are going to survive beyond us. There is plenty for everyone to do.
Thanks again to all those who work tireless, thankless hours on displays around the country to preserve our past. Often the money they spend is their own. And, thanks, in particular, to Jason Midyette, Todd Hackett, and others who still keep working on 74 and her train. I wish I was with you.
Mike
Subject Author Posted

Organized Vandalism

I Agree June 21, 2001 02:28PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.