Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting Artifact of the Santa Fe Branch

March 07, 2008 06:10PM
I have mentioned before here that I like to prowl Ebay and other auction sites looking for Colorado-related narrow gauge RPO stamps that I can pick up inexpensively. Recently I bid on and won what was billed as a postcard with a 1941 Antonito-Santa Fe RPO cancel. Well, it arrived today in the mail and turned out to be quite interesting. It is a postcard addressed to Bob Richardson in Akron, Ohio from Mike Delgado, who was the chief RPO clerk on the Santa Fe branch. It is postmarked with the Santa Fe branch RPO stamp on July 1, 1941 and gives Bob advice on visiting and riding the Santa Fe branch in view of the pending abandonment. It must have reached Bob after he rode it as he rode the train only a couple of days later. You might also note how Mike Delgado spelled the name of the line-- "Chile Line". Anyway, here is the text of the card, with bad grammar, spelling and all:

Santa Fe, NM
July 1st 1941
Mr. R.W. Richardson
34 St,Akron, Ohio

Dear Mr. Richardson
Yes we was granted for extension 30 days probably this line will not be abandoned so you have lots of time to ride on the Chile Line and see the wonderfull scenery of Colorado and N. Mex come over any time You are welcome will hold your letters covers untill later will see see what the ICC. does.
Respecfully yours.
Mike Delgado
Subject Author Posted

Interesting Artifact of the Santa Fe Branch

Bill M. March 07, 2008 06:10PM

Re: Interesting Artifact of the Santa Fe Branch

Jerry Day March 07, 2008 06:32PM

Bill M. March 07, 2008 06:36PM

Jerry Day March 07, 2008 07:02PM

Bill M. March 07, 2008 07:34PM

Jerry Day March 07, 2008 08:02PM

Fred T March 07, 2008 10:22PM

Sandiapaul March 08, 2008 06:21AM

geode March 08, 2008 07:30AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login