Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 463 and others

DvV
June 16, 2001 04:49PM
Hi John,
Here's my response to you. I tried back channel but it was returned as undeliverable.
"A slight correction. 463 ....(two cars less, not four)."
O.K., I remembered wrong.
"There's an assumption here ..... be hard to spot."
My assumption was not what you are stating here. I'm not trying to save on expenses here. My own idea that fixed costs would be the same started from the idea that a night hostler 's wages are the same regardless of the fact that he's tending a C-19 or a K-36 or several K-36's. I'm NOT trying to cut costs here.
"The key to profitability is ....... of our payroll."
Already addressed.
"So rather than ......... costs or not."
I'm also trying to find ways to get more people to come out. My thoughts are:
1) First, get the 6 mikes running again.
2) If a C19 has 53-odd% of the tractive effort of a K-36 and a K-36 only needs 45% of it's tractive effort for an Antonito train, costs being the same, a C19 might be able to substitute (I'll assume here that Lava tank being out of operation would not impact things).
3) A C19 running for the season might be able to attract more railfans (an admittedly small group of people compared to the general public).
4) I know the D&SNG's Railfest is best attended by those people within driving distance. Being over a weekend, I have trouble attending the entire event.
5) Railfest is held AFTER school starts here in Georgia. My sister and brother-in-law would let me take their kids to railfest (8 and 11) even if they could not come along but they would not take the kids out of school the 3rd and 4th week of school at the beginning of the school year for this.
6) If several "events" could be scheduled not only for a couple of weekends during the season (like Railfest) for the "locals" but also several "mini-events" for during the week (for long distance visitors), I think there is an additional market for premium tickets. This could only happen if a C-19 (318 or 346 or 223 or 169 - take your choice) were on the C&TS for a season AND it would not NEGATIVELY impact the bottom line. Maybe some market research is needed here.
7) one such special event could be a special with a C-19 road engine and a K-27 helper moving tonnage east from Chama.
I apologize if you are upset, but I am not a downsizer. I'm trying to come up with ideas that in the future might be worth looking into.
Personally, I'd like to see Antonito improved so a couple of locos could be held there for special runs, emergencies, and helper/MOW work. I'd also like to see an EBT train set on the C&TS for those who have trouble coming east and a D&RGW train set at EBT for those who have trouble getting west.
It's too bad the dual gauge switch in Antonito has a worn out frog seeing the dual gauge idler in action during a mini-event would be really great. Might EBT have a frog they'd be willing to trade or sell?
My boss and friend had to go to Juarez on business about 4 weeks ago. At the hotel, he picked up a new C&TS brochure that was in the lobby for me. I'm impressed with it.
A firm C&TS supporter and anti-downsizer (I've been downsized twice in 20 years).
Doug
Subject Author Posted

463 and others

DvV June 15, 2001 07:11PM

and a few other things as well

Kevin Cook June 16, 2001 01:10PM

John Craft June 16, 2001 01:11PM

DvV June 16, 2001 04:49PM

John Craft June 17, 2001 07:52AM

DvV June 17, 2001 01:39PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.