Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Cumbres train register, February 16, 1933

February 16, 2008 11:13AM
I always enjoy these snapshots of how the railroad was operated in the face of adverse conditions. I find this more interesting then the railorading done at the board room level.
In an asider I was got to meet Claude Allbee. He retired from the Grande in 1944 as was living in Florence, CO when Don Tiner, builder and owner of the 15-inch gauge Royal Gorge Scenic Railroad at Buckskin Joe's (west of Canon City) approached him to run his 4-6-2 steam locomotive. I was at Buckskin Joe's and saw this engine sitting out. I was 6 at the time and this engine was just my size. I sat in the seat and pretended to be engineer while my Dad took pictures. Mr. Allbee came over and said that I shouldn't be playing on it.
I didn't know who he was, just that an old man was ruining me fun. In thinking back, I could have opened the oil valve or something.
He didn't really listen to him, running amusement park trains and miniature railways for the past four years. I am set to go back to Ed Dickens' Rio Golden Railroad when it opens for the year March 22.
Subject Author Posted

Cumbres train register, February 16, 1933

Jim McKee February 16, 2008 05:17AM

Re: Cumbres train register, February 16, 1933

CharlieMcCandless February 16, 2008 11:13AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login