Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Kolor Karavan part 2

January 26, 2008 07:54PM avatar
We departed promptly at seven and dawn was just beginning to break.

One of the pleasures of these three day trips besides the railroadiana is people watching. It is suprising how their moods change. The first day there is always considerable unrest among the passengers, A little pushy so to speak. Some of this tends to carry over into the second day,
but by the third day most of it is gone and everyone seems more relaxed. A lot of film has been used and scenery viewed, so they begin to visit and slip back from today into a slower pace of yesteryear. Without most of them being fully aware of it they cannot hurry anyplace, they are on this train and it will set the pace.
One example of how the passengers relax is shown in the huge volume of complaining that went on the first day we were on the train, about how long it took to make the trip. On the third day the trip was just as long and they actually seemed to enjoy it, with no grips.

On our return trip the 68 passengers who were with us from Chicago left the trip at Durango and continued the tour from there by bus. This emptied the first coach and some of us spred out. The empty coach was right behind the engine.

I spent some time in the first coach behind the engine watching the engine, track, and scenery ahead thru the glass door. On some of the less smooth areas I never did figure out if old 487 was fighting to stay on the track or fighting to get off the track.

The new loop that has been laid around the Navajo Reservoir is certainly a smooth quiet ride. The water tower at Arboles, made from an old tender, has been moved up to the new grade.

It was 1:25PM when we left Chama. Our 487 was assisted by 488 up to Cumbres. The engines uncoupled to cross Lobato tressle. At the summit, 488 uncoupled and ran light ahead of us to Alamosa.

The train stopped for photos at tangle foot curve and the photographers walked down the grade and over a few steps to board the train after it had made the big swing around the horseshoe curve.

Our train passed the toltec gorge at 4:15PM. The weather had been cool and showery almost ready for snow through the pass area but now the sun came out for a time now and then to help spotlight the fall colors.

After passing Big Horn I went back to the gondola as I usually do about this time each trip. I enjoy the long winding curves and watching the engine come around at us and almost run in the opposite direction. The steep descents down the lava beds are fun to watch.

From here it was twilight time on the desert, it was twightlight time for this trip and each time I wonder if it will be the twilight of narrow gauge for me and is it twilight time for the D&RGW narrow gauge. I hope not.

Elton Freeman
Prole Iowa
RMRRC member # 60

I hoped you all enjoy this little diary of his last trip.

Dan Hetzel
Subject Author Posted

Kolor Karavan part 2

JS Driver January 26, 2008 07:54PM

Re: Kolor Karavan part 2

John West January 27, 2008 10:02AM

Re: Kolor Karavan part 2

Fritz Klinke January 27, 2008 08:04PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login