Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Greg's Films *PIC*

December 04, 2002 11:09PM
Come on folks, give Greg a break.
Look in any magazine or go to Best Buy and look at the boxes and see what the advertising folks do to images of all sorts.
Greg is going to great pains to make sure that the color image of that photo looks close to what it would have looked like in real life.
If this were an advertising project done for a big client by an ad agency, they would think nothing of doing absolutely what they wanted to do with the photo. The client wants a purple engine, you got it! He wants the section house in pink, OK!
I once did a video box for one of my earlier versions of the C&TS video.
The designers reversed a photo of Cascade trestle shot from on-board the train.
I told them to flip it around. They pointed out how having it reversed balanced out the design.
From a design point they were correct, but I had them change it anyway because I did not want to hear endless grief from the narrow gauge fans about the picture being backwards.
I guess my point is that Greg is making a video box, not a picture book. The whole point is so that people see it in the hobby shop, pick it up, hold it in their hands, and then buy it.
Respectfully, Greg is doing a service by making these old films available. This is a VERY niche market, and to be honest, if I were getting the grief that Greg is over all this, I would be tempted to put the films back in the closet and move on to something else.
My Dad is here helping me through the holiday crunch, and he commented today that when someone calls to order a gift for a railfan, that the call lasts a minute or two, and then is done.
If a railfan calls, the call may go on for five minutes while the fan (if buying a video) asks if this location is included, or if this unit or that unit is in the video etc.
I once had someone call and ask me to spend an hour and go through my Stevens Pass video to look for his favorite SD40-2! If that unit was not in the program, he wasn't interested!
Sorry for the tirade. I usually bite my lips firmly together. Probably should have this time.
I consider myself a railfan and a ng fan, but sometimes the fans get so particular about things. Come on folks, it's just a video box!
Subject Author Posted

Greg's Films *PIC*

Les Jarrett December 04, 2002 11:09PM

Re: Greg's Films

Mik December 05, 2002 12:01AM

Mike Trent December 05, 2002 08:37AM

Greg Scholl December 05, 2002 09:15AM

Re: Greg's shirt...

Duane Richardson December 06, 2002 12:21AM

Tom Stewart December 07, 2002 08:44AM

Rick Steele December 07, 2002 12:54PM

Duane Richardson December 10, 2002 12:35PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.