Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: 1203 restoration

November 06, 2007 09:25AM
Dan points out perfectly what happens when you under quote a job. Being in the rail car building and restoration biz I can attest to the fact that under quoting, because the thing you are trying to restore ends up being in much worse shape than you originally had thought, will produce a negative situation. Edwards has faced this a number of times and it has always come back to "bite us in the ass"....but this is NOT the customers fault...never is.

In this respect CHS did not try to take advantage of SV. CHS got a quote and they accepted it, not their fault SV under bid.

I would even put forth that a company, that is in the biz of restoration, should take into account the end use of the equipment, and thus are fully cop able for the ability of the equipment to stand up to the rigors of the end use for the equipment...meaning, restoring a piece of equipment that is going to be a static display, verses having to operate successfully on a railroad with greater operating requirements...example: restoring a steam engine that would be expected to operate on a railroad like the CRM verses the Loop is way two different things. I think the company quoting to a customer has the responsibility to make sure the customer understands what they are paying for. Too may times this does not happen. It is great that the guys at SV have thought about the "end use" of the engine and it sounds like we can all expect that the 1203 will operate as required on the Loop....fitting around the railroad, its too big, trestle's, etc. has nothing to do with the company doing the restoration.
Subject Author Posted

1203 restoration

dan November 06, 2007 08:09AM

Skip November 06, 2007 08:52AM

Steven Torrico November 06, 2007 09:25AM

Dan Robirds November 06, 2007 10:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login