Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

1203 restoration

dan
November 06, 2007 08:09AM
I have struggled about when to say anything about the 1203 Porter restoration. I think now is the time. As a past President, Vice President and Board member of SVRR I want to outline a little history and set straight a few misconceptions regarding restoration of the 1203 diesel.

The SVRR board approved the sale and restoration of the 1203 over two years ago. It was an experiment in restoration of equipment other than SVRR. We saw an opportunity to have a small, competent staff on site at McEwen bringing in income while also being available to maintain SVRR equipment. Sumpter Valley Machine Works LLC was spun off to accomplish these tasks. SVMW is not owned by SVRR. To own SVMW, SVRR would risk loosing non-profit status. SVMW was sub contracted to overhaul 1203, and has other work in addition to 1203.

We have learned many lessons in this venture. The cost was underestimated, and negotiated in favor of CHS. Consequently there has been no profit. The profit from the sale of 1203 has been used to complete the rebuild. We are probably at best breaking even. The experiment has not be a total failure, but has not had the outcome expected. SVMW has jobs other than the 1203, and this has kept it alive. SVMW and SVRR personnel have had to dig into their own pockets to complete the project. The final CHS payment will aleviate some of their loses, but I doubt it will completely cover all loses.

To their credit, the men responsible for and working on this project have dedicated themselves to doing an outstanding job. They were determined to do more than a cosmetic restoration, even though it has meant loosing money. I have watched them work in dire circumstances such a four feet of snow in the yard with an inadequate plow. 10 deg temperature in the uninsulated shop with only a home made stove to go to for warming. The run off from the roof came into the shop and created a skating rink inside. Rain falling from an uninsulated roof. 1203 tires have been replaced, and some have been resurfaced. Motors and the generator have been overhauled in Portland by an outside source. The radiator has been completely rebuilt. All new wiring and a new control panel, plus a cab heater and all new windows. The prime mover was replaced. I am sure there more than I have outlined here. CHS is getting more than their money's worth whether they realize it or not. This machine has been rebuilt as a work horse, not to run only on special occasions.

SVRR's relationship to CHS and the Loop has been strictly business with no favor or bias to them, the former operators or anyone else. Our personal opinions of the situation at the Loop were set aside at the onset of this project. Anyone will be hard put to find biased comments from SVRR members on this forum or any other concerning the parties involved in the Loop over the past three years.

The results of this experiment have not had the outcome we at SVRR had hoped for. It has cost SVRR and SVMW more than expected, and used resources that could have been put elsewhere. On the plus side we have learned a lot about diesel restoration and major restoration in general. Thank goodness it is nearly over. We can soon return to doing that which we do best, run a railroad. And we can look forward to the restoration of 720 and repairs to # 3 and # 19.

While President I applied pressure on SVMW to complete the project on budget and give CHS what they were paying for. I was wrong and I now admit it. The men working on this project refused to do a half-ass job, and instead went over the top and have done a superb job even though it cost them and their families personally. They can be proud and stand tall. I am sure any future business prospects for SVMW will look at the outcome of the 1203 restoration and realize they will be getting quality work.

Finally, I want to publicly thank Jerry, Scott, Dan, Casey and Randy for their hard work and dedication to the 1203 restoration. The SVRR will survive and continue to grow and I am proud to be an active member.

Comments can be directed to me at svry@chamberscable.com.

Dan Denham,
Trainmaster, SVRy
Subject Author Posted

1203 restoration

dan November 06, 2007 08:09AM

Re: 1203 restoration

Skip November 06, 2007 08:52AM

Steven Torrico November 06, 2007 09:25AM

Dan Robirds November 06, 2007 10:32AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login