Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Cumbres Snowshed.

November 03, 2007 12:06PM
Our crew did repairs on the snowshed during session F this summer, and the immediate concern for the next few years should be replacement of structural members that are suffering wet rot in the shed. We preformed a patch job of sorts on the third bent and replaced about four feet of one of the 8x12x16' that make up the roof girder, as well as one of the posts that support it. While we had part of the roof off, we discovered a broken 4x6 that we had to remove about 12 feet of roof to replace. Years of water from rain and snow melt has rotted some of the structural members to the point that some of them need replacement. There was another issue of drainage of runoff water freezing and forming an ice dam that was causing structural damage. The drainage issue has been taken care of.

Having completed that, anything else is going to have to be cleared by SHPO before you can add to what is left. I heard that when the Friends brought a proposal years ago to SHPO for approval to replace the missing sections, the proposal was denied. The reason, I am told is that SHPO felt the public would be "confused" about what was origional, and what was a replica. The fact we can do repairs and that's OK, but to replace what fell down is not, doesn't make much sense to me.

That was several years ago, and there is probably a new group in charge at SHPO now. As to whether the Friends will try again depends how much is on their plate. I imagine it is quite full.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/03/2007 09:43PM by John Cole.
Subject Author Posted

Cumbres Snowshed.

Jim November 03, 2007 11:31AM

John Cole November 03, 2007 12:06PM

Jim November 03, 2007 03:16PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login