Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

It could happen

John West
February 12, 2001 09:36PM
Let me put just a slightly different spin on this. Some kind of "daily" freight operation could be incorporated in the C&TS's interpretive program, as a way of explaining and demonstrating historic freight operations. However, it would have to be carefully thought out to be truly educational to the general public, and not just a railfan deal.
One of the things that makes the C&TS exciting (at least to me) is its ability to recreate such historic operations with considerable authenticity. The tank car dock, stock pens, wool warehouse, the lumber mills made Chama a reasonably typical small town railroad operating point. Doing something on the Antonito end might be more challenging, but with some creativity can probably be done. The Osier stock pens are also another interesting opportunity with a captive audience.....excuse me, student body.
This is why having the Friends involved is so important, because such historic interpretation costs money and is unlikely to be paid for out of the fare box of a strictly tourist railroad. It is also what makes the C&TS different from most other tourist railroads. The Friends role as the operator of a museum provides a basis to raise money for such interpretive efforts, while RGRPC tries run the railroad as efficiently as possible.
Subject Author Posted

daily freight movements

william February 10, 2001 10:27PM

Re: daily freight movements

RichB February 11, 2001 12:50AM

Re: daily freight movements

JSchwartz February 11, 2001 10:21AM

It could happen

John West February 12, 2001 09:36PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.