Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Lost Locomotives Help

November 20, 2006 12:15PM
I’ve been working for the past few months on a “lost locomotives” series for Railfan & Railroad. Part 1 will cover abandoned engines, part 2 deals with sunk engines, and part 3 covers “lost” engines that have been recovered.
At the present time I’m trying to find some information on Henry Sorenson’s two recovered engines. I recall seeing a photo somewhere of his 0-4-2T (Mattole Lumber Co. No. 1) half-buried. However, after looking through most of my magazines - including all the back issues of Pacific News in my collection- - I’ve come up with nothing. Does anyone have info on this locomotive, its apparent abandonment, and how Sorenson and Eric Thomsen recovered it?
Sorenson also owned a rare 2-truck Shay that is now under restoration by Scott Wickert in Oregon. Again, I haven’t found much on this locomotive anywhere. Anyone have the details, or know where to find them? I understand it was left abandoned in a stream? When was it recovered??
Also, any info on the late Hal Wilmunder’s Heisler (former Richardson Lumber No. 1)? Some sketchy information was found in Pacific News, but nothing substantial. I know this one was abandoned and recovered, but I don’t know any more than that.
Jeff Terry
Subject Author Posted

Lost Locomotives Help

Jeff Terry November 20, 2006 12:15PM

Re: Lost Locomotives Help

Marty Knox November 20, 2006 03:04PM

Loggerhogger November 20, 2006 06:32PM

John November 20, 2006 08:17PM

Tom Shreve November 20, 2006 08:52PM

Re: Lost Locomotive Thanks

Jeff Terry November 22, 2006 01:12PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.