Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Re: Adler Springs & Larch on the S.V.

January 02, 2001 08:23PM
Last summer, I had the good fortune, being a relative new commer to the SVRy crew, to go out several times with a couple of our long time members to these and some other points of interest. In addition to what Ron mentioned, Larch summit had I believe 3 sidings plus the main. There are Otto Perry photos in the Denver public library showing SVRy mikes at the summit along with the sidings. These were used to store cars when the locos doubled the grades. There was also a Y at the summit which is still visible. There was also a section house at Larch which was still there untill the Hwy was built. I think this occured around 1980, but perhaps Ron will remember and correct me. At Alder Springs trestle there are still some remains on the ground but mostly just the mud sills. There was a spur at the east? (Larch side) of the trestle where a work camp could be set out for anual maintainence on the trestle. A short distance towards Larch from the trestle are the timbers still intact for a speeder turnout. Larch was one of three 4% grades on the SVRy. After trains decended from Larch going west to the Whitney valley, which had its own Depot, they climbed another 4% to Tipton which also had a depot then decended to Austin and Bates. Dixie Mtn. was another 4%er between Bates and Prarrie.
Subject Author Posted

Adler Springs & Larch on the S.V.

john mccutcheon January 02, 2001 02:25PM

RBrinton January 02, 2001 05:09PM

J.B. Bane January 02, 2001 08:23PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.