Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Preserving the Knowledge to Preserve!

March 24, 2019 10:22AM avatar
In this forum, we sometimes see examples where professional restoration organizations, like Strasburg RR or the C&TS, have actively hired younger workers who are interested in learning the restoration trades so that critical skills are passed on the future generations. It's a long-term commitment that I think we all applaud. This probably happens more than is obvious, but those are the two that I pay attention to.

But what about volunteer restoration projects? Within the Friends of the C&TS, we've had many discussions that normally, our typical volunteers have been able to retire from their long-time careers and now have the time to come to our week-long work sessions. But that means a volunteer is older and may not learn everything they need before starting on a critical project. Have other restoration organizations that depend primarily on volunteers addressed this concern? Has there been any formal program of trying to preserve the knowledge to preserve?

In the Friends, we're dipping our toes into the water here. For instance, on a project I worked on a couple of weeks ago, we spent about 4 days performing something I originally thought would take about 3 hours. On my drive home, I kept on thinking, "I really wish before we started, I knew what I know now." So I wrote up a description of the work we did, along with a set of "Lessons Learned". Fortunately, we had one of our people taking photographs, and I was able to write up the narrative around those. Along the way, I noted a safety item that would be good to watch out for the next time we encounter a similar situation. My hope is that this document is available to other projects that are doing similar work, so they can avoid the same frustration. It would have been nice to have a video camera available for documenting some of this, but we did what we could.

The next step is to formalize this and perform this activity during a full-scale work session. We've always documented our work with photos, but the difference here is to turn those photographs and videos into an instructional document so that the knowledge and experiences are kept for prosperity.

I'm interested in hearing from anyone here that has similar ideas. (I might eventually venture to rypn.org and ask the same question, but I'll start here)

Bill Kepner
Subject Author Posted

Preserving the Knowledge to Preserve!

drgw0579 March 24, 2019 10:22AM

Re: Preserving the Knowledge to Preserve!

TonyK375 March 24, 2019 04:19PM

drgw0579 March 27, 2019 10:00PM

TonyK375 March 28, 2019 03:01AM

Como March 25, 2019 01:14PM

Sharrod March 28, 2019 05:46AM

Russo Loco March 28, 2019 11:25AM

Elanor P

drgw0579 April 11, 2019 06:05AM

cz10 April 02, 2019 10:51AM

Re: Preserving the Knowledge to Preserve! Attachments

Kelly Anderson April 02, 2019 11:15AM

GeorgeGaskill April 03, 2019 02:50AM

Kelly Anderson April 03, 2019 05:43AM

drgw0579 April 07, 2019 07:20AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login