Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mystery Locomotive, Help Needed

May 26, 2016 05:59PM
I’m hoping someone can help explain a photo that has me confused…

Page 23 in Colorado Rail Annual #13 identifies the locomotive in the photo as F&CC # 2, named the Cripple Creek. This was one of twelve Class 72 (later designated C-18), engines purchased by the F&CC from Baldwin. Except for the locomotive in this photo, all the other Class 72 engines for the F&CC have the steam and sand domes grouped together, with the bell located forward of the sand dome.

This photo clearly shows a different arrangement. I’m struggling to come up with a plausible explanation as to why? I can’t imagine why a railroad would change the location of a sand dome after it was delivered?

So after seeing this photo, I confirmed through other photos and some research online, the “normal” dome positions for F&CC #2 thru #12, including a later photo of #2. The domes on the F&CC’s 4-6-0s were significantly different from the Baldwin’s, and all the 4-6-0s are well documented in photos, so they can be ruled out.

I believe dispositions of F&CC #1, #2 and #6 remain unknown? I ruled out #2 and #6 through other photos. #1 may have gone to the Montana Southern. Are there any photos? I can’t find any.

My only conclusion, and plausible explanation is this is actually a photo of F&CC #1, and it was delivered by Baldwin with a different dome arrangement than all the other class 72 locomotives.

Is this possible?
Could it be an early fraud-o-graph of another engine?

Can anyone shed light on this mystery locomotive?

Thanks,
Ryan

IMG_0384.JPG
Subject Author Posted

Mystery Locomotive, Help Needed Attachments

Ryan May 26, 2016 05:59PM

Re: Mystery Locomotive, Help Needed Attachments

bcp May 26, 2016 07:11PM

bcp May 26, 2016 08:01PM

bcp May 26, 2016 08:33PM

Everett Lueck May 26, 2016 09:05PM

Re: Mystery Locomotive, Help Needed

Everett Lueck May 26, 2016 07:29PM

Re: Mystery Locomotive, Help Needed

weston1879 May 27, 2016 12:02AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login