Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Period Paint Schemes

November 12, 2014 08:37AM
Greetings again everyone! It's certainly been a while since I last dropped by.

Today I'm trying to gather some information for a small side project I'm working on. I'm sure many of you here are familiar with Carl Fallberg's Fiddletown & Copperopolis railway cartoons. Even though the comics revolve around an entirely fictional railroad I've had the notion of taking the cartoons and bringing them to life in both model and virtual formats. (Using a program called Trainz Railroad Simulator)

The thing is I would like to do so as realistically and plausibly possible. I know one of the issues a lot of us historians gripe over are locomotive and rolling stock paint schemes, and the affiliated Disney trains are no exception, even though they do look good. So, now onto the specifics of what I'm looking for.

First off, locomotive color schemes. I'd like to try and be as true to Fallberg's cartoons as possible and have colorful and whimsical paint shcemes, but still have them be historically authentic. I have a copy of Fallberg's book and the cover hints at what the paint schemes may be, though as far as I know there is no detailed information for this in cannon with the cartoons.

From what I can tell, the closest scheme is that of CP 173/C&P Lilly Bell locomotive.

So, my question is, just how accurate is this scheme from a historical view point? I do like the colors and the green accents. Though since the comics are set around the turn of the century, as some 'infernal-combustion' vehicles are shown hear and there.

Next question is the paint schemes of Rolling Stock? The line is set I think in central-ish California. I'm not sure if the location would effect paint schemes, but I thought it might be worth asking. In the cartoons the rolling stock seems rather plain looking and my best guess would be deeper colors like green and maroon for the passenger cars, and oxide brown or read for freight equipment.

Anyway, I know this isn't exactly about anything prototypical, but this information could be beneficial to others for future reference for their own uses. Or just as expanding one's knowledge on historical narrow gauge railroading. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks again guys! Keep steaming!
Subject Author Posted

Period Paint Schemes

Andrew Davis November 12, 2014 08:37AM

Re: Period Paint Schemes

Randy Hees November 12, 2014 12:26PM

Skip November 12, 2014 12:28PM

Chris Walker November 12, 2014 02:37PM

James November 12, 2014 03:18PM

Ed Stabler November 12, 2014 04:05PM

Andrew Davis November 12, 2014 04:50PM

James November 12, 2014 07:36PM

Randy Hees November 13, 2014 11:11AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login