Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NNG Another Roundhouse bites the dust

November 10, 2014 04:09PM
Not narrow gauge but I wanted to share since the building is nearby my home. Sad to hear Norfolk Southern has begun demolishing the Southern Railway's Asheville Roundhouse. The building will be completely gone by December 15th. The building was built in 1924 and has 17 stalls. I was lucky to visit the site this past summer. I had always hoped Asheville would find a creative reuse for the roundhouse, similar to the Colorado Midland roundhouse in Colorado Springs. With the structures demolition, the Southern Roundhouse at Spencer (now NC transportation museum) is the last roundhouse in North Carolina.
http://www.citizen-times.com/story/money/business/2014/11/06/demolition-ashevilles-roundhouse-begins/18588395/

The loss of the structure can be attributed to the new NC legislatures purge of programs that make NC a nice place to live. The specific cut is a tax incentive that makes the preservation and reuse of historic structures tax deductible. The program was recently repealed and could endanger other historic structures across the state.

Alex
Subject Author Posted

NNG Another Roundhouse bites the dust

southparkline1 November 10, 2014 04:09PM

Re: NNG Another Roundhouse bites the dust

guymonmd November 10, 2014 05:09PM

DKRickman November 11, 2014 07:55AM

dougvv November 11, 2014 10:06AM

southparkline1 November 11, 2014 02:09PM

dougvv November 11, 2014 03:09PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login