Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Opening Day Rambling

Earl
May 30, 2000 09:22PM
It's amazing how 2 years can change your thinking. In May of 1998, I swore that as long as the then present management was in Chama, I would never set foot in the place. Well, two years later here are Carmen and I flying low up US 287/I-40 from Wichita Falls to cheer for the home team in its season opener.
We arrived in Chama Fri PM and found a gang of Friends touching up paint on the cars for the next day. Some of the cars looked pretty tough, but at least things are on the upswing now. It was great to see some old familiar faces and see 463 bark around the yard making up tommorow's train.
The next morning was like a high school reunion. Old friends and acquaintances everywhere. It was great, almost forgot to chase the train! 463 and 489 got thier full tonnage train out on time (a major accomplishment). There was a sizable motorcade following the train out of town.
Into the Narrows and on to the 4%, the train slowed down to a crawl. The still-rusty rail was making for a very hard pull as 463 & 489 filled the valley with thunder as they struggled up the hill at a fast walk. The open gon was dropped at Lobato to cut tonnage, and the remainder of the trip up the hill was much less eventful (but no less spectacular). The climb up Cumbres will always be the Greatest Show Of Earth.
We returned to Cumbres that afternoon to watch Jeff bring the 487 and train down the hill. Except for a couple of sliding wheels, Jeff got 'em down off the hill in good shape. It was great to hear that wonderful 5-chime on 487.
The next day I was off on the morning bus to Antonito. It had been suggested to me that I maintain my engineer credentials on the C&TS and to do so I needed a check ride over the road. Over 2 1/2 years had passed since I had sat on the right hand side of 489 headed west from Antonito. It took me about 6 miles to sort out 489, how she wanted to run and get used to the "fat boiler on the skinny track" again. Carlo Llamas was along to show me the rough spots that I didn't know. 489 has some pretty worn rod bushings that sing a pretty loud tune at 15 mph, but 489 rode well, and steamed like only the 489 can. She still runs real square I had her hooked up 2 notches from center most of the day.
After lunch, Jeff was my pilot for the afternoon as 489 lifted 9 cars and the rotary water / fire car up the 1.42% to Cumbres. This was just enough train to get 489's throttle wide open with the reverse hooked up 2 notches from center. I was a bit concerned about coming off the hill, having not done it for a while. Fortunately, I had a good holding train and it came off the hill easily.
For those who are wondering, the track is not bad at all. There are some kicked out curves here and there, but they are in places that traditionally have done so over the years. Generally, the cross elevation is good. I saw plently of places where new ballast had been dumped in the trouble spots and lots of ditching had been done on the uphill side of the track. All in all it looks good.
Monday it was time to head back to the reality of GP7's, grain trains and summer wheat harvest. I came away with a good feeling, things are getting better. Good times lie ahead.
I hope to be back soon (maybe for the "stock rush".
Subject Author Posted

Opening Day Rambling

Earl May 30, 2000 09:22PM

Re: Opening Day Rambling

Les Clark May 31, 2000 04:40PM

Roy Blizzard May 31, 2000 06:54PM

(More) Opening Day Rambling

John West May 31, 2000 09:31PM

Re: (More) Opening Day Rambling

Jay Wimer June 01, 2000 06:12AM

Wade Hall June 01, 2000 09:20AM

Doug vV June 01, 2000 10:59AM

Ages

Herb Kelsey June 01, 2000 04:51PM

Re: Ages

Doug vV June 02, 2000 01:21AM

6500 Flats

Herb Kelsey June 03, 2000 11:15AM

6500 Flats

Kevin Cook June 07, 2000 12:55AM

Re: 6500 Flats

Herb Kelsey June 07, 2000 08:33AM

G. W. Laepple June 01, 2000 03:08PM

William L. Petitjean, P.E. June 01, 2000 12:01AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.