Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Debunking Popular Thought

June 06, 2001 03:19PM
There has been a lot of discussion on this list over the last year or so on this subject.
Coker and a couple other very credible sources have changed a lot of our thinking on this subject that Green was actually used and specified for jacketing on engines used in freight service for a number of years.
I was among many who were under the impression that Green was used for engines in passenger service on the D&RGW during that time, not freight. Who knows what the shops actually did?
Yes, the Salida Shop did have more time to spend on engines than the Alamosa Shop did, and the results were not only visual, but mechanical as well. At least this was true during the last years of operation to Gunnison. 499's appearance for that Rocky Trip was spectacular, and clearly the result of a lot of proud and hard work. I think it was 1950, between Club excursions over the RGS in '49 and '51.
I post this recap not to be redundant, but merely to provide this interesting information, which has debunked a lot of popular thought over the years.
If you want more info, try the search engine for this page. You should find a lot of posts on the subject, and most of it was very interesting.
Mike
Subject Author Posted

Boiler Jacket Color

freddyb June 06, 2001 10:45AM

Re: Boiler Jacket Color

william June 06, 2001 12:51PM

Debunking Popular Thought

Mike Trent June 06, 2001 03:19PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.