Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

RE: On To Edaville

December 12, 2000 11:32AM
(I figured we'd be better off starting a new thread, rather than keeping it going, buried in the BIG BOY hoopla)...
>>> Does anyone know the present condition of the 2" gauge Edaville railway park in South Carver, MA? Last I heard they shut down for a number of years, went through a halfhearted revival, shut down again, and are now back in operation but the line is nowhere near its former glory. Also, have they managed to get any other steamers up and running besides No. 21, the "Anne Elizabeth?"
For those who didn't know, Edaville was effectively sold off a number of years ago, following the departure of a favorite villain of this board, George Bartholemew.
Most of the "Historic" equipment was sold to a group in Maine, who have started a museum in downtown Portland. Monson 2fters #3 & #4 are there , along with #8 from the B+H. Most of the original Maine rolling stock is also in Portland. #3, and #8 are operational, and #4 is undergoing restoration.
B+H #7 is still in the enginehouse at So. Carver. Its ownership has never been publicly stated to this writer, although it appears that it is either owned by the Maine group, or one of its members. Regardless, she remains fireless and cold (but inside) at Edaville.
The 'lost engine of Edaville' is #5. She came from a Louisiana Sugar plantation and was regauged from 30" to 24". She is very light and was not well suited to the rigors of Edaville in their hayday. After being sold to the group in Portland, it has found a new home on the W.W.+ F. in Alna, ME. An original W.W.+F. coach (actually W+Q, a predecessor road) also is in Alna. This coach, also from the Edaville collection, is on lease from the Portland Group.
So, back to So. Carver...
The rails and structures remained in place, and after a couple of attempted re-starts, a new group, headed by Jack Flagg has resurrected Edaville. They recently got #21, the Anne Elizabeth, steaming. I was there over the summer and there are a number of changes from the Edaville of yore. Regardless, they've done a lot and are certainly worthy of support.
The new Edaville has lots of other equipment, for a roster, visit: [edaville.bizland.com] the official web site.
They have another 2fter in the old Museum building (which is rather ghost-like in that is a shadow of its former self). This is a German import and the sign says that it will be restored for operation.
And that's what I've got to say about Edaville.
Note: There are a lot of underlaying politics between the groups mentioned; and much hard feelings. I am not a member of any of those groups, and am simply an outside observer who has been to all of the various operations at various times.
-Ed Lecuyer
Subject Author Posted

RE: On To Edaville

Ed Lecuyer December 12, 2000 11:32AM

Re: RE: On To Edaville

Ted Miles December 13, 2000 10:07AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.