Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Ruminations of a PITA

September 16, 2007 11:37AM
In the midst of my thinking over the prospect of having covered car storage tracks and the proposed visitors center in Chama, I got to wondering about the source of my uneasiness.

Then I got to thinking about the Chama engine shop, and it hit me. It revolves around the word "permanance". Here, I would try to classify any changes into three categories:

1. Permanent. Into this category would fall things like the engine house, the rest room facility, and the proposed visitors center, or other structures. Once they are in place they are likely to be there for a long, long time, and would be difficult, if not impossible, to undo.

Items fitting this category should be given the utmost due consideration. This means that there should be a wider dissemination of information than the present decision process permits. (See more specific comments on this subect at the end of this posting.)
2. Semi-Permanent.

Although it might be a bit of a stretch, I would also include changes in track alignment and/or structure. An example would be the ongoing ballast program. This obviously has changed the appearance of the track, and just as obviously has significantly improved the quality of the structure. But as the track is used and subjected to the elements, things will change.

3. Temporary

As this category implies, this would be for items of an ad hoc nature, and any changes would undone after a particular task is completed. For example, a temporary enclosure which would allow for restoration work to be done on a piece of rolling stock, but which would be removed once the immediate job is completed.

OTHER ISSUES

Some time ago was when I first heard of the idea of the visitors center. I complained that this information hadn't been adequately distributed. It was pointed out to me that it had been posted on the FRIENDS web site for some time, so if I had wanted to know about the subject, it was available. Well - yes and no. First of all I do not regularly dig through the web site to see if anything of importance shows up (my fault). But second, the information is posted without any readily apparent mechanism available for timely comment. So it's sort of "take it or leave it". If the FRIENDS (or their representative) would regularly post here, then this would go a long way toward furthering those interested in C&TS doings - whether they be FRIENDS members or no. Like it or not, IMHO the FRIENDS have a wider responsibility to the community at large.

Fortunately, since the subject first came up there has been additional pertinent info come to light here which has fleshed out the picture. But if it hadn't been through some digging by posters on this board, we probably wouldn't have known about it to any great degree.

Now, we are faced with the prospect of an up/down vote by the Commission at the upcoming meeting. In all fairness, though, I seem to remember that there are additional hurdles to overcome before a final decision is made.

Now I expect that someone will raise the issue as to why I don't take a more immediate interest in what is happenings. Unfortunately, I can't. So like many others - I suspect - I have to rely on forums such as this to stay current.

May I suggest to the FRIENDS that either they make a more concerted effort towards broader communication with us unwashed, or perhaps start a board like this of their own. But I want to emphasize to the FRIENDS that the C&TS is not their private playground and have a much more general obligation to the railfan/historical community.

Thanks for listening to my grumbles.

CJ
Subject Author Posted

Ruminations of a PITA

Chile John September 16, 2007 11:37AM

Re: Ruminations of a PITA

Dave Boyer September 16, 2007 06:12PM

Chile John September 16, 2007 07:16PM

Robin Warren September 16, 2007 07:32PM

Chile John September 16, 2007 08:16PM

PITA...and a lot MORE!

Richard Boulware September 17, 2007 12:27PM

Haven't we been down this path before?

Anonymous User September 17, 2007 01:13PM

Re: Haven't we been down this path before?

Yosemite Sam September 17, 2007 03:21PM

Re: PITA...and a lot MORE!

Chris Webster September 17, 2007 02:58PM

Dear Mr. Bill M.

Richard Boulware September 17, 2007 03:07PM

Re: Dear Mr. Bill M.

Anonymous User September 17, 2007 03:56PM

rick_b September 19, 2007 01:43AM

John Cole September 20, 2007 02:14PM

Mark Valerius September 20, 2007 02:55PM

Re: Ruminations of a PITA Attachments

drgw0579 September 20, 2007 02:25PM

HOD Bill September 20, 2007 03:35PM

Better PR from the Friends

Mark Valerius September 19, 2007 11:02AM

Re: Better PR from the Friends

Chile John September 19, 2007 11:35AM

Re: Better PR from the Friends

Mark Valerius September 19, 2007 03:05PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login