Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Image quality vs size - another point of view

September 05, 2007 09:41AM avatar
Just wanted to chime in quickly re the recent requests from Ed Stabler and Smitty relative to image viewing on the NGDF. While I appreciate the position that dialup folks are in, for those posting photos it becomes a matter of how much quality you're willing to trade for speed, and to what portion of the distribution of users you want your images to be accessible. What Ed and Smitty are really proposing is a least common denominator approach, and I have to admit that I don't much care for that as either a viewer or a poster.

Even when posting fairly large images to the net, a photographer is already making substantial quality tradeoffs. Consider the attached example. The original of this is a slightly less than 22 Mpixel, 120Mbyte file. I try to size images such that a majority (but not all) of folks can access them reasonably. For me, that means an image size of just over 900 pixels in width, and jpeg compression levels which keep the image in the 200k range. To do that, I'm already throwing away an amazing amount of detail, tonal subtlety and (in the case of color images) color quality from the original file, but MOST people will find it reasonable to load, and it will fit easily on MOST screens. Most, not all.

To get an image like the one here into the 50K range that dialup folks seem comfortable with, I'd have to either make the image considerably smaller (and it's already fairly small by current average monitor size standards) or apply higher levels of jpeg compression, thus increasing artifacts and substantially reducing quality and detail. It's a tradeoff - there's no free lunch here, and at the size & compression levels I typically use, I've already traded away more than I wish I had to.

I don't want to burden dialup users with more than they're comfortable with, so since the changeover to the new forum software here, when I post an image, I post links rather than embedding. That way, dialup folks have a choice.

It's the best I'm comfortable doing. Down the road, I might try to embed a small thumbnail with a link, but that about doubles the work involved, and at some point, well... no it's not rocket science, but like most I have limited time to spend posting here. [Edit - thumbnail added]

Oh, the image - sorry, NNG this time, as I've been getting some recent 844 stuff ready for the website -

On a gloomy day, 844 passes through Greeley, CO with the State Fair special - click on image for larger size

Scott

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2007 11:58AM by Scott Turner.
Subject Author Posted

Image quality vs size - another point of view

Scott Turner September 05, 2007 09:41AM

Re: Image quality vs size - another point of view

geode September 05, 2007 10:08AM

Scott Turner September 05, 2007 12:42PM

geode September 05, 2007 01:13PM

Ed Stabler September 05, 2007 11:07AM

Scott Turner September 05, 2007 12:01PM

Ed Stabler September 05, 2007 04:12PM

Scott Turner September 05, 2007 04:24PM

Ed Stabler September 05, 2007 07:55PM

michael September 05, 2007 06:51PM

Glenn Butcher September 05, 2007 08:42PM

ND Holmes September 05, 2007 10:43PM

geode September 06, 2007 01:15AM

Techno change and a thank you..... Attachments

Mark Valerius September 06, 2007 07:36AM

Re: Techno change and a thank you.....

Scott Turner September 06, 2007 08:01AM

Re: Techno change and a thank you.....

Mark Valerius September 06, 2007 08:40AM

Scott Turner September 06, 2007 07:42AM

Don Richter September 06, 2007 08:45AM

ND Holmes September 06, 2007 02:57PM

Ed Stabler September 06, 2007 03:44PM

SMITTY September 06, 2007 06:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login