Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sumpter Valley Railroad in Live Maps

August 07, 2007 04:54PM
Follow along the Sumpter Valley mainline, see the sites along the way, read the mile marker posts. From Baker City to Prairie City.

[maps.live.com]

I started by just trying to map out the S curve of the line just past Tipton but after I got the hang of it, I did the rest of the mainline from the Baker City station to Prairie City. I worked from images of the original track elevations and blue prints, rotating the blue print images for north and then comparing things from the image in Microsoft live maps. I feel pretty good about the location of all the markers from Baker to Austin but from Dixie down to Prairie City, there is room to correct a bit as the blue prints from that section are not as detailed, and there isn't as well defined old road bed.

A few notes on Live Maps. You'll see a floating box in the upper right of the image. Click on Aerial and use the - or + to zoom in (or use the mouse wheel). I tried to use the 3D option but it didn't work on my relatively slow connection (just slightly faster than dialup).

Please let me know any discrepancies and/or needed additions for the SVRy map.

Enjoy
David
Subject Author Posted

Sumpter Valley Railroad in Live Maps

DaveM August 07, 2007 04:54PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login