Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Who owns Cerro Summit?

May 09, 2007 10:27PM
Time to expose my ignorance some more. Background 1st: last June, on the last morning of my most recent trip to Colorado, I set out to fullfil a long-held ambition (like since the 1st time I got my Dad to drive thru Colorado via Gunnison instead of going over Wolf Creek, say 1970) to hike up Hairpin Creek on the west side of Cerro Summit (about a mile above the slide area) to see the grade in the area. I got back to about mp 338 and found the grade fenced off and posted. Sadly I turned back and hauled my fat butt down the valley, then up a dirt road to try coming down from above. No Joy, about mp 336.8, another fence. So, being a (mostly) Good Boy I went back to my car and headed off to Grand Jct. to catch my train back into exile. I noted down the name of the ranch that owned the fence intending, when next in the Montrose area with some time, to contact them and ask permission to hike up the grade (I was raised on a farm, I know how to shut gates & not to scare stock).
OK, Back in the Pacific NorthWet and looking at the copies of the valuation maps for the section I bought from CRRM I was surprised to note that they list the entire 1949 abandonment, not just the section thru the Black Canyon, as having been sold to Gunnison & Montrose counties.
So here's my question-does anybody know if Montrose County still has title to the grade between Cimarron and Cedar Creek? Anybody volunteer to stop by the courthouse and find out? I may do it on that (hypothetical) future trip but that might be a year or more from now. (gotta finish paying off the last one 1st)
hank
Subject Author Posted

Who owns Cerro Summit?

hank tiffany May 09, 2007 10:27PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login