Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

No1 steams again.

March 29, 2007 03:19AM
Hi, just to add to the debate. 'Prince' is indeed the oldest working NG steam Loco in the world. I was driving 'Prince' last weekend at Porthmadog on the WHR 64Co new track. The last time 'Prince' road on this track bed was in the 1930s. The FR has 4 0-4-0TT Locos in existance, 2 are working 'Prince' which is oil fired at the moment and 'Palmerston' which is coal fired. 'Princess'is preserved in the Station bar (where good real ale is served daily)at Porthmadog, she last ran in 1946.'Whelsh Pony'is also preserved and is having conservation work undertaken at the moment in store, she last ran in the 1930s and is a slightly larger Loco than the others (longer wheel base and larger boiler and cylinders. With reference to General Palmer visiting the FR, I remember a well known American Historian, who wrote about the Maine two footers, riding on the foot plate of 'Linda' in the 1960s and talking about the influence of the FR on the NG railroads of America in Coloardo and Maine. He said he had evidence of a visit by General Palmer, unfortunately I do not remember what his evidence was as I was coal firing and he was talking to the driver Alan Garraway (FR General Manager at the time). I had heard that a great deal of Work was being done toTR No1. It will be a good job as usual. I suspect these old Locos like 'David Bowie's' Knife have very little if any of the original Loco in them today other than their spirit!
Subject Author Posted

No1 steams again.

vince bashford March 29, 2007 03:19AM

Re: No1 steams again.

James C Patten March 29, 2007 06:43AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login