Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Mythical Million” Steam Restorations

JPK
March 06, 2007 09:48PM
Since we’re doing some dreaming how bout this mad scheme?
With some “creative financing” from the White Pass, restore SV 20 for a “long term” loan back north. The ever expanding White Pass is, or may soon be soon, power lean so… put this nice and historically accurate steamer back to work. Free up a shovelnose. SV 20 (or WP&YRR 80 take your pick) could easily hold down a job such as the “new for this year” Carcross/ Bennett service. The run is nearly level. You amble along the rocky, lovely shores of Lake Bennett. What could be more fun? Engine 80/20 could trundle a 5 car train on that run just dandy.
Will your basic, bill-paying tourist will obtain a more memorable bang for their buck watching dancing siderods rounding those curves and hearing a lovely steam whistle on the head in or are they hoping for the growl of a diesel and the blare of an air horn? There is simply more magical “neat stuff” going on with steam. Period. There may be some bias here, but I really think I am right on this. Yes I would take the ride regardless of the power, but give me the choice, and I’ll go with steam every time.
What about the steamers WP has already? They are committed to existing duties out of Skagway.
Here is another thought. Suppose you need additional/new 3 foot gauge power. Could one find a manufacturer willing to construct a small run of diesel units today? What would you guess the unit cost be compared to restoring 20 if it could do this same job?
Lastly… when the SV is back to running out of Baker City, Jerry and Taylor can call 20 home as she’ll no doubt be needed. 250 and 251 won’t be able keep up with the work……
Subject Author Posted

"Mythical Million” Steam Restorations

JPK March 06, 2007 09:48PM

Re: "Mythical Million” Steam Restorations

20 fan March 07, 2007 08:11AM

Re: "Mythical Million” Steam Restorations

El Skonk March 07, 2007 06:38PM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login