Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

..The Road to Chama....

November 01, 2006 12:07PM
As I have posted on the Goat, I will begin a series of images and captions and stories about the fall of 1970, when some of us took 150 pieces of rolling stock, and moved them over the rusted rails...from Antonio, West...to Chama. The series will be titled..The Road to Chama.
The series will start in two or three weeks, and be posted at the New Narrow Gauge Dead Goat Saloon, the premier site focusing mainly on the C&TS. It will come in weekly installments, with welcome words from both John Prichard and Terry Ross...and perhaps others who were there.
Terry was the driving force from New Mexico, in the early days.
The fall of 1970 was the birth of what we now call the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad. It was long before the Goat, the NGDF, and The Friends.
The volunteers who gave so much of their time, labor and even money, have long disappeared into the mist of time.
Terry, John and I are bringing them back for a well deserved curtain call...with pictures, stories, data and narration about those deciding days and months, when the C&TS was truly born.
To paraphrase Sir Winston Churchill,...
Never in the course of the Rocky Mountain narrow gauge railroad history...have so many, owed so much..to so few.
To the few,.. we are starting a new group we will call..."The Exalted Order of the Black Cat" in remembrance of Ernie Robard's original idea of 'track of the cat'...and to remember and celebrate those who were there, with soot filled faces and hair, bloodied knuckles and exhausted bodies, but will wide smiles on their faces. May history record, and remember their valiant efforts.
Subject Author Posted

..The Road to Chama....

Richard "Bo" Boulware November 01, 2006 12:07PM

Re: ..The Road to Chama....

Chile John November 01, 2006 04:44PM

Sounds like

roger hogan November 01, 2006 09:05PM

oops

roger hogan November 01, 2006 09:07PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.