Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

This and that-catching up

July 03, 2006 10:10AM
Am back from a week of beaches on the outerbanks of NC, and delighted to see the thread on the German Harz mountains with the nice images. We
have a video shot in 1989 including many of the places shown, and two dual departures which were quite stunning. Here is a link, if anyone is interested. Its called "German Narrow Gauge"
[www.gregschollvideo.com]
Also found the info regarding the master plan of the C&TS interesting.
Going along with our previous threads on lettering, I came across a steam engine in Crewe, Virginia, in a little museum as we passed through town. I recognized it as ex U.S. Army 2-8-0 number 606. These were from Ft. Eustis originally, but I am not sure where 606 was before Crewe. The odd thing is that it now has NORFOLK AND WESTERN stenciled on the tender. Of course it never was an N&W engine. So, here is a case where folks would love to have an N&W engine, but can't get one, so they lettered it for their hometown railroad anyway! I thought it was pertinent to our NG discussions involving the Rio Grande on the C&TS engines tenders!!
One more NG bit of news. A friend of mine was at Carson City to see all the steam there this weekend and said it was a good show. Sent me images, but too difficult to post here. The Eureka had the tender derail, but was no worse for the experience after rerailing according to my friend. It sure looked nice overall, as did the other locos of several gauges. Here is the
complete list of the seven locomotives steamed for this event:
* Virginia & Truckee Railroad 22, "Inyo," 4-4-0 (Burnham, Parry, Williams & Co. [BLW] 3693 / 1875)
* Virginia & Truckee Railroad 25, 4-6-0 (Burnham, Parry, Williams & Co. [BLW] 25016 / 1905)
* Nevada State Railroad Museum 8, 4-4-0, (Cooke 1861 / 1888)
* Eureka & Palisade 4, "Eureka," 4-4-0, (Burnham, Parry, Williams & Co. [BLW) 3763 / 1875), 3-foot gauge, owned by Dan Markoff of Las Vegas, Nevada
* Sandstone Crag Loop Line "Deanna" 0-4-2T, (H. K. Porter 11900 / 1891), 3-foot gauge, from a Hawaiian plantation, owned by George Thagard of Coto da Caza, California
* "Seward" 0-4-0T, (H. K. Porter 1392 / 1892), 3-foot gauge, brought out of back country Alaska by helicopter, believed to be the first locomotive in Alaska, owned by Jim Walsh of Fallon, Nevada.
* "Gwen," 0-4-0T, (Hunslet, Leeds, UK 1404 / 1920), 18-inch gauge, from British Isles, owned by Richard Farmer of Northridge, California
Subject Author Posted

This and that-catching up

Greg Scholl July 03, 2006 10:10AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.