Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SVRy trivia: long sought question answered

February 15, 2006 01:02PM
Some of my fellow SVRy officianados/ historians have wondered if the SVRy Mikakos ever went to Prarrie City. I am not aware of any photographic evidence that they operated west beyond Batesville. My freind Jim Grigsby researced the SVRy track profile maps to see if there were any curves in the section between Batesville and Prarrie that would have prevented the Mike's from working this section. He found an abundance of 24 deg. curves, but there were a few 24 deg curves that the Mike's had to negotiate between S. Baker and Austin, so this proved that it probably could have been done.
I purchased a small amount of SVRy paper work off of ebay and just recieved it today. Much to my delight was a "Conductors Report of Time of Tain Crew" dated 8-25-21 For trains 3, 2, and 1 between Austin and Prarrie City. The engine # is clearly the 19! It is also interesting to note from this time report that the crew tied up at Prarrie. What we have seen from other documents that we assume was typical was for the crew to return from Prarrie as EX19 or whatever engine was on the train with any freight cars accumulated at the Prarrie end needing to go east. Train 3 originated at Austin with the train crew going on duty at 8:30 and was a scheduled freight move to Prarrie. Train 2 was a return from Prarrie to Austin with a pass. consist bound for Baker that was swaped to the crew of train 1 that would have arrived from Baker midday and would return to Baker as train 2. Train 1 originating at Baker was handed off to the crew from Austin to take to Prarrie as train 1. It is interesting that the crew tied up at Prarrie at 4:30 with total time on duty 8 hours. The report however claims 10 hours. It makes me wonder if the reason for the extra 2 hours claimed was because normally they would have returned to Austin logging 2 more hours on duty, but for some reason they were prevented from doing so due to mech. problems or track problems? One question answered always seems to result in another!
Subject Author Posted

SVRy trivia: long sought question answered

J.B.Bane February 15, 2006 01:02PM

Re: SVRy trivia: long sought question answered

John McCutcheon February 15, 2006 03:29PM

Re: SVRy trivia: long sought question answered

J.B.Bane February 15, 2006 04:14PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.