Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Mohave & Milltown - narrow gauge

November 04, 2005 08:46PM
During the years 1903 and 1904 there was a 3' gauge line from Needles, Arizona (opposite Needles, Callifornia) to mines near Oatman. The story of this line is recounted in David Myrick's Railroads of Nevada and Eastern California Vol II.
Myrick wrote:
"The remaining 'unwashed' track between the mine and the mill was taken up about 1912, but a stranded locomotive remained for many years near the old route of U.S. Highway 66 to serve as a guide post for travelers and a reminder that here, high on the hillside, the little narrow gauge ore trains had once run."
I'm wondering if anyone has or has seen a photo of of this stranded locomotive?
My research into the Los Angeles & Redondo has shown that it sold in 1903 a combine and a locomotive to the Mohave & Milltown. The LA&R accounting records list the sale of a combine and locomotive #24. The combine shown in the photo in Myrick's book looks the same as a combine seen in a Redondo Beach history book.
This locomotive is missed in the roster published in Myrick's book. The LA&R renumbered locomotives and the known company records provide clues but nothing to match #24 to its original name or number.
In advance, thanks.
Brian Norden
Subject Author Posted

Mohave & Milltown - narrow gauge

Brian Norden November 04, 2005 08:46PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.