Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My 2 Cents

October 15, 2005 03:56PM
I rode the Chama side this fall and was very pleased and impressed with the forward progress
made by all involved with the rail road. I am not in the loop with any of the current management
but hope that pressure to further improve the rail road. will in fact help. I want to say my 2 cents and would like any feed back pro or con to my views.
There has just recently been a large unprecedented influx of cash to the C&TS and there for
is no rational reason to believe that the states will pull the rug out from under the rail road soon.
As I understand it and differing from the Kyle days, the operator “RGRPC “ is allowed to take a cut to guarantee there continued physical health. The 487,484 and 488 all have had full boiler and running gear work in the last 3 years and and are in good condition.
Let me say upfront, Although I feel it is a mistake to not work toward the addition of a 4th locomotive and maintaining close attention for the continued protection of the prier rebuilds with a winter program. The rail road can survive to another season with a program that allows for the legal annual locomotive inspections in the fall and late winter work taking care of necessary maintenance for another season of operation.
The locomotives will require the boiler washes, hydros, air work, and such for the annual inspections . The 487 may require a stay bolt cap inspection at this point, not sure of its last flue or cap inspection date.
All the locomotives that had new rod bushings at the start of the 2005 season will require at least the main and intermediate crank bushing replaces also possibly the #1 bushings. Older bushing will all have to be replaced. The 487 should have it’s spring rigging closely inspected as after 2 years of service on that rail road the pins and bushing will be worn through the outer hardend surfaces and will ware very quickly now
Creating more work .
If you eliminate the full winter maintenance schedule you do gamble on loosing the full return of your shop crew as they may seek full time employment elsewhere.
With the above the locos will make another season.
If I may be premited to make another observation. Scenic Rail Roads lost their shirt from spending to much
ticket revenue on buses rather than the railroad. Thus when Kyle came in the rail road was split in to the 2 halves with most ticketing bringing the public back to the terminus of origin eliminating the need for buses.
There is some need for moving train crews back and forth so vans were used allowing limited thru ticketing.
Kyle did not expand on bus traffic until it reached about 50,000 annual rider ship. I think the early Kyle model along with a 7 day schedule at a slightly reduced price will make for more patronage.
The majority of the rider ship is from Albuquerque. The cost of tickets are becoming a deturent to people that like to bring the frends and relatives to ride the train. Heavy advertising beyond local state population is not affordable for the rail road till later when the rider ship is back.
Eliminating the cost of the buses and careful advertising in the local populace will free moneys to allow for a full seven day schedule.
Reasonable prices and simple schedules will bring back the local patronage with their friends and families
It will take a few years but walking before you run will eliminate unnecessary stubbing.
Jack
PS if you have a problem with this post other than content. Please get a life
Subject Author Posted

My 2 Cents

Jack Campbell October 15, 2005 03:56PM

Jack you nailed it - Albuquerque

roger hogan October 15, 2005 04:17PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.