Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jack Rentfrow Tapes

August 29, 2005 05:15PM
Jack Rentfrow worked for the D&RGW from 1935 to his retirement in 1981. He was intimately involved with the narrow gauge starting in about 1940 when he was assigned to Durango from Pueblo. He retired as Trainmaster rather than work for Charlie Bradshaw, so his last day of work was the day before Bradshaw took over. We always thought Jack was a 100% company man, but he related to me that, "hell, I just had to do what Denver told me or it was my job." But in reality, he did much to keep the narrow gauge intact and he had to do it on the sly.
An example was during the scrapping that went on in 1970. He squirreled away a number of cars he thought the Silverton line needed and stored them along the line and in Silverton.
Back about 1974, I hiked down to Elk Park to photograph the first work train in April sent up to clear the slides. I met the train at the wye, asked Jack for a ride back up to the snowshed slide, and he said sorry, company rules, and off went the train with me hoofing it along the track. Pretty soon, a speeder appeared with Johnny Martinez who told me to get on, that Jack had sent him back to get me.
Jack also donated the harp switch stand from Elk Park to our historical society, and he palyed a role in getting the D&RGW to donate the land that the Silverton Northern office sits on to our historical society. Jack had some great stories, and in 1993 and 1994, he made a series of tapes that cover his railroad years. There are eleven (11) one hour tapes that have been put on cd's, one tape per cd. These are now available from the San Juan County Historical Society, P.O. Box 154, Silverton, Colorado 81433 for $25 per cd. Part of the proceeds go towards the cost of maintaining our archive building and the general operating expenses of the society.
Jack was a loyal Mason, and through the Masonic connections, a lot took place to help the local railroad situation. Jack died about 3 years ago in his 90s.
Subject Author Posted

Jack Rentfrow Tapes

Fritz Klinke August 29, 2005 05:15PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.