Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Las Vegas , Nevada Centennial

May 03, 2005 11:03PM
This coming May 15, 2005, Las Vegas, Nevada will be 100 years old as a town. On January 30, 1905, the San Pedro, Los Angeles and Salt Lake Railroad, (half of which was owned by the Union Pacific) completed the last Trancontinental railroad to be built in the United States. The Last Spike was driven about 15 miles south of Las Vegas. On May 15 1905 the railroad began selling lots for what became the city of Las Vegas. It is our official beginning as a town.
Obviously, this doesn't have much to do with narrow gauge railroading......until now. There is nothing left of any SP, LA and SL equipment. Nevertheless, the city wants to honor its railroad heritage for this huge Las Vegas event. So, as fate would have it, I have agreed with the Centennial commission that Eureka be on public disply right in the heart of Las Vegas on the site of the 1905 auction. That happens to be at the junction of Main and Fremont street, under the canopy of the Fremont Street Experience. For those who are unfamiliar with this area, the Fremont Street Experience is a canopy that covers the street for several blocks. It contains 12,000,000 lites in it that features an incredible light show. This is in addition to the familiar neon signage that lined this fabled street.
Even though Eureka is narrow gauge, it will be representative of Nevada's railroad heritage in general, and its contribution to the building of this area. The locomotive will be upon rails that were given to me some years ago by the Union Pacific, that happen to be the very last of the original rail that was laid into Las Vegas in 1905. So there will be a direct connection after all.
I have got to think, this will be the most improbable place a narrow gauge locomotive ever appeared. Among all the glitz and neon of glitter gulch, right smack in the center of it all will be a steam locomotive with an oil burning headlight. What a contrast. I think even I might have to get a picture of this!
It is a great honor to have Eureka appear at the centennial and I think it has got to surprise a few folks. As for narrow gauge, well...we have always been able to build in tight places.
If any of you are in Las Vegas May 12-15, come on by. It will be great to see you!
Dan Markoff
Subject Author Posted

Las Vegas , Nevada Centennial

Dan Markoff May 03, 2005 11:03PM

Congratulations

Dave Bates May 04, 2005 07:42AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.