Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boiler house, Dragon Mine, Utah *PIC*

April 27, 2005 10:23PM
This photo was taken of the boiler house at the Gilsonite mine at Dragon, Utah on the Uintah Railway. The Uintah's tracks are just off the bottom edge of the photo. Obvoisly the doors were made at a height of easy access to the box cars and flat cars. Cement foundation still stands today. Notice the steam whistle coming out of the roof towards the left. Smoke stack was originally in the middle of the building, must be off to the left in this photo??? Probably taken in the early 1920's after the American Asphalt Comapny had gone back in to the Dragon Mine, after purchasing rights to do so from the Gilson asphalt Company who had moved on to the Rainbow area in 1911. American did manage to make the Dragon Mine profitabe again for a few years. I always assumed this was rooled tin siding, but possibly tar paper???? Water was supplied from a large tank to the left of this photo. Steam heated water showers were at one time placed in this building for the miners to try to get the oily Gilsonite deposits off of themselves.
Subject Author Posted

Boiler house, Dragon Mine, Utah *PIC*

Rodger Polley April 27, 2005 10:23PM

Re: Boiler house, Dragon Mine, Utah

Les Clark April 28, 2005 05:06PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.