Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Restoration & Maintenance

Festus
March 02, 2005 02:14PM
It is always neat to see another piece of NG rolling stock restored. In some cases, almost none of the original car except may be the trucks (if it had any when recovered) and the ironwork remains. If I understand correctly, though, this is not necessarily non-prototypical because the Rio Grande & other roads sometimes did radical overhauls of their equipment periodically, and even over time a large percentage of the original "fabric" could be replaced. I guess from a regulatory and bookkeeping standpoint, if a car of #so&so goes into the car shop, and a car of the same number eventually comes out of the shop, it is the same car.......
After seeing some NG restorations and pondering this point as I was driving down I-25, I looked over at the Colo. Springs yard and noticed that not one of the standard guage RR cars looked even close to new. Bad paint, rust, ancient road names. The only new looking cars I have seen are coal hoppers. One of my questions is, how many new freight cars (non-unit) are fabbed each year. It looks like there are very few/no new boxcars / flatcars / hoppers (non-unit).
It's not a NG question, but my curiousity after seeing a string of good looking NG equipment followed by a string of ratty looking mainline SG equipment.
Subject Author Posted

Restoration & Maintenance

Festus March 02, 2005 02:14PM

Re: Restoration & Maintenance

Stephen Peck March 02, 2005 02:56PM

El Nehi March 03, 2005 05:59AM

Mike March 03, 2005 11:21PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.