Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tourist road outlook

March 02, 2005 12:02PM
Kevin Bush's post below was a good one, and thought-provoking. There are signs that tourism is making a comeback. I was told today that the D&S is seeing the best reservation response is quite a while, amd the "maybe of a fourth train to Silverton in 2006 is looking more definite. Orads like the Grand Canyon Ry. have stayed steady through the recession. However, my optimism is cautous. I think that there will be a continuing thinning of the ranks of tourist operations. I hate to say it, but htere is too many of them .The mores established operations will recover .Which one are in trouble? Operations that are in remote locations and/or in towns that cannot offer the services tourist need are in trouble . Tourist roads work well when the nearest competition is over 200 miles away, i.e. have a strong regional tourist base. Continued steam operation is in a lot of danger as it is getting very expensive to maintain them , not to mention increased federal oversight.
I am going to give a lecture on this at this year's Narrow Gauge Convention in Dearborn . Maybe I will see some of you there .
Subject Author Posted

Tourist road outlook

El Coke March 02, 2005 12:02PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.