Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Uintah narrow gauge Rail

February 04, 2005 10:53PM
The publisher Uintah Railway Pictorials(Sundance) omitted this portion of the profile map in volume two, at the bottom listed as "RAIL CHART: but with no information along the bottom.
Volume One : Mack to Atchee, has a rail chart listed at the bottom of the profile map on page 17. Unfortunately this is incomplete and with little detail, I offten wondered when some one would take note, and for those interested I'll post this to the NGDF.
Rail Weight in Miles from Mile post 0, Mack, Colorado. (March 1930)
.343 miles at 56# (Mack and just west of town) (this portion of the original map is highly water stained, the .343 is my best assumtion on what I can see there).
4.53 miles 52# (Just west of Mack, past Clarkton siding to half way to Rader).
5.24 miles 60# (South of Rader to near Sprague).
1.0 mile at 52# (Centered around Sprague siding).
3.36 miles at 60# (arrid desert).
9.18 miles at 56# ( past Cooley siding, Carbonera, half way to Atchee).
5.11 miles at 60# ( through Atchee to just past Morro Castle curve - the 65 degree 7 1/2% grade one).
1.72 miles at 56# ( nearing Shale tank area).
1.06 miles at 65# ( Shale tank area - big mud slide area)
1.41 miles at 56# (over teh summit at Baxter Pass, start 5% downgrade).
.94 miles at 65# (Windy Point and Lookout Curves)
1.30 miles at 56# (to Deer Run)
1.02 miles at 65# (through Columbine).
1.60 miles at 56# ( down grade towards Mcandrews Lake).
.24 miles at 65# (Horse Shoe Curve).
.36 miles at 56# ( Mcandrews Lake).
1.02 miles at 65#( to Wendella).
2.25 miles at 56# ( past Sewall).
22.81 miles at 60# ( past Dragon, Rainbow Junction an end of track at Watson, Utah).
IN ADDITION:
Dragon Branch to mines was 1.3 miles at 56#.
Rainbow Branch to Rainbow, Utah 4.1 miles at 56#
No information on the Thimble Rock mine, Colorow, or China Wall extensions.
Reminder that this was in 1930. It has been said that the Uintah got alot of its original rail second hand from the D&RG ( which 8 years erlier had torn up the old right of way through Utah and standard guaged. I was told at one time that alot of this rail was made in the UK ????? True????? Also, the several pieces of rail that I have seen indicate 1883 embossed on the sides ( these were all dug up pieces of rail off of the Uintah right of Way - Baxter Pass, Desert north of Mack, and Dragon Utah). Also the Dragon branch has the piculular distinction of being the only place ( that I know of) that most of the tie plates were embossed with the Uintah name ( although wrongly embossed UINTAH RR - not RY). How common was the practice of embossing the name of the RR on the tie plates, any other RR that are known?
Rodger
Subject Author Posted

Uintah narrow gauge Rail

Rodger Polley February 04, 2005 10:53PM

Re: named tie plates

Philip Walters February 05, 2005 08:36AM

Re: named tie plates

El Coke February 05, 2005 09:18PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.