Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Jordan Spreader OU...A Great Video

January 22, 2005 08:18PM
I apologize to the several readers who requested copies of my 1970's Steam Rotary images. I attempted to email some images of the OU plowing snow in the north Chama yard, but in looking at my 8mm movie captures and my railfan event slides, they at best are mediocre.
What I did find in my collection was a great VHS tape documenting a photo special in 1981 which featured the OU.
Bill Peter organized this two day trip, in which the 489,with tender re-lettered "Rio Grande" left Chama on September 30, pulling the OU spreader followed by a rider gon, three or four outfit cars, and a caboose. They used the OU for ditch work near Osier and Toltec siding. The train turned on the wye at Bighorn, before spending the night at Sublette where the 50 or so passengers took night photos, prior to camping on and around the train. The narrative describes the history and function of the Jordan spreader, and the tape was taken with the fall foliage colors in all their glory.
The journey and great footage of ditching work was captured on a video titled "Rio Grande Work Train" that was produced by Video Rails. I believe that in the mid 90's Pentrex acquired the rights and distributed the tape. I don't know if Pentrex has any remaining copies available, but anyone who can find the tape will probably treasure it as much as I do.
Subject Author Posted

Jordan Spreader OU...A Great Video

John Wilke January 22, 2005 08:18PM

Re: Jordan Spreader OU...A Great Video

Brian Jansky January 23, 2005 08:30PM

earl January 24, 2005 04:58PM

John Wilke January 25, 2005 11:25AM

David Fluit January 25, 2005 12:57PM

John Cole January 25, 2005 01:11PM

John Wilke January 25, 2005 07:46PM

David Fluit January 25, 2005 10:09PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.