Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

'Round the World again *LINK* *PIC*

December 30, 2004 10:49PM
Posting slides creates all kinds of discoveries. While going through my old Argentine slides I rediscovered a bunch of pix taken on the legendary "Ramal C-14", a spectacular transandino route from Salta in northern Argentina to Antofagasta in Chile. In addition to posting more pix than I had planned to, I did a little googling and found a fascinating website about C-14. I had forgotten how spectacular this line is...two switch backs, two complete loops, high trestles, miles of stark antiplano scenery, and the third highest railroad pass in the world (15,800 feet). The locals have dubbed it "el tren a las nubes"...train to the clouds. It was not completed until about 1948, and was powered by massive (by meter gauge standards) 2-10-2's built by Skoda in 1949. This site, while in Spanish (which should not be a problem for anyone spending much time in Chama), is just full of fascinating information and pictures. The site is definitely worth exploring...click a few of the links. While dieselized, at least the line appears to be still in service.
Finally, I have also posted a couple of pix of the Guayaquil & Quito including Devils Nose, one of which is included with this posting. The Devils Nose shot was take in 2003 on a Trains Unlimited tour hosted by Dale Brown and his wife.
That website is now maxed out, but because I am a strong believer that less is more, in a few days some pix will start disappearring so that I can go on to South Africa and Europe.
Now back to your regular scheduled programming.
John West aka El Pepsi
Subject Author Posted

'Round the World again *LINK* *PIC*

John West December 30, 2004 10:49PM

Re: 'Round the World again *LINK* *PIC*

John West December 30, 2004 10:54PM

Re: 'Round the World again

Steve Singer December 31, 2004 10:07AM

Greg Scholl December 31, 2004 08:03AM

The "foreign" market

John West December 31, 2004 11:58AM

Re: The "foreign" market

Steve Singer January 01, 2005 10:43AM

Re: The "foreign" market *PIC*

John West January 01, 2005 11:44AM

Gavin Hamilton December 31, 2004 02:59PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.