Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Farewell GLRR

October 05, 2004 10:44AM
The Fires have been dropped...memories of an incredible day
Well, as of Sunday, October 3, 2004, the Georgetown Loop Railroad Inc. operated its last steam-powered trains over the world-famous Georgetown Loop line. The last weekend, and last day in particular, were incredible. Doubleheaded shays (#'s 12 & 14) were the power for the regular passenger runs, while 2-8-0 #40 powered the Extra Train. This allowed for incredible photographic and recording opportunities.
The last day, wreaths and black bunting was adorning each of the 3 locomotives, signifying the day's bittersweet significance.
Whistles echoed up and down the valley all day long. From the earliest hour of 10:00am until around 9:00pm, the sounds of mountain steam were pronounced throughout the scenic valley. Some whistles were those of pride, determination, and power. Others were those of sorrow, crying to the mountain peaks. The engines sounded as if they themselves were crying, in accordance with the underlying mood of the day.
The sounds of mountain steam-powered railroading continued into the cold and misty evening. Darkness enveloped the valley, and brought a most eerie feel to the railroad. The engines looked very much like ghosts of years past, standing in the rainy mist of the valley, headlights shining bright into the darkness, fires flickering below the lit interior of the cabs.
I truly felt that I was back in 1900, back in time, and that I was surrounded by the ghosts that reside in the valley from more than a century ago. It was an indescribable emotion, and one that I will never forget.
The sound of the #12's whistle echoing off of the canyon walls at 8:00 at night is something that I shall always remember as one of the most beautiful and sad sounds I have ever heard. The reverberating sounds of steam; loud, strong, determined, and announcing to the entire valley that "steam will never die!".
The last whistle of the night was that of #12, sitting in front of the Silver Plume Shop, silhouetted in the light from the shop building. The long blast echoed its gorgeous chord off of the mountain peaks above Silver Plume, a fitting tribute to the end of the Georgetown Loop Railroad Inc.
Farewell, GLRR. Thanks for all the wonderful memories.
Shane
Subject Author Posted

Farewell GLRR

Shane Schabow October 05, 2004 10:44AM

Re: Farewell GLRR

Kerry Ann October 05, 2004 01:34PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.