Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Little Conveniences Added to Steam Locomotives

December 28, 2023 03:29PM avatar
Long time SVRR member and former crew member Jeff Chittick has donated a lot of material to our archive which includes paper items from his years as a board member along with many many photos. Jeff was one of the members intimately involved in SVRy #19's restoration. He sent some digital photos a while back that showcase details on #19. Here we see the grease fitting manifold on one side, there being a matching station on the other side of th engine. Between 1920 when #19 was constructed and the end of use on the White Pass in the late 1950's, a lot of advancements were developed on steam locomotives. #19 received more of these than #20. I am not sure if the central grease fitting locations were set up at the White Pass or added during restoration. I suspect that the locations greased were simply oiled with a long spout prior to adding this convenient system. Don't assume however that this is a one stop place to operate your grease gun. There are "buzillion" other button head grease fittings, some of which require access from the service pit. As someone once qualified on #19 I could at one time have counted them in my head.
P0000384 - Copy.JPG
Subject Author Posted

Little Conveniences Added to Steam Locomotives Attachments

J.B.Bane December 28, 2023 03:29PM

Re: Little Conveniences Added to Steam Locomotives

RDannemann December 28, 2023 04:11PM

Tom Moungovan December 28, 2023 07:34PM

John C December 29, 2023 11:27PM

Re: Little Conveniences Added to Steam Locomotives Attachments

mrwalsh85 December 30, 2023 09:03AM

Re: Little Conveniences Added to Steam Locomotives Attachments

mrwalsh85 December 30, 2023 09:09AM

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login