Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

C&TS, D&SNG Photos *LINK* *PIC*

August 17, 2004 12:06PM
I made my first trips to both the Cumbres & Toltec and Durango & Silverton last weekend. I had an excellent time, even though my video camera stopped working on the first day. I got plenty of good photos though, and have included a link to my page at Railpictures.net where the best have been posted. I'll post a few more on this forum later on that aren't on the linked page.
The Cumbres & Toltec was about as close to heaven as a steam fan can come. Next time I go back I will be sure to set aside about four days there; two nights and two days was just enough time to see everything, but not to really take it all in and absorb it. The combination of all that historic equipment and the relaxed atmosphere really made my C&TS experience a great one.
The Durango & Silverton was an impressive operation and I was really amazed with how well-coordinated the trains ran, not one running more than 5 minutes behind schedule. With three trains rolling in, one seemingly right behind the other, and the various stops to pick up or let off hikers and other passengers, or to take water, it really felt like much more than a tourist operation.
I had a great time with both operations. If I had to pick one over the other, however, C&TS wins without question. Granted, the D&SNG had the spectacular mountain scenery; but I found the rapidly-changing wide open vistas and twisting, looping trackwork of the C&TS just as, if not more, interesting. And I definitely enjoyed the opportunity to see the locomotives and rolling stock up close in Chama, which you can't do in Durango. But I am really pleased with how both operations are being run and will return to both in the future. Thanks to the crews of both. For those interested, I am planning on joining the Freinds of the C&TS.
The picture I have attached (hopefully it works) is 487 at Osier on August 7. I'll add more later. There's a lot more at the link to my railpictures page below the photo.
Subject Author Posted

C&TS, D&SNG Photos *LINK* *PIC*

John H. August 17, 2004 12:06PM

Re: C&TS, D&SNG Photos

Kevin Bush August 17, 2004 02:42PM

Re: C&TS, D&SNG Photos

Tom Farmer August 17, 2004 04:05PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.