Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Thunder of Their Passing

August 14, 2004 08:07AM
During a recent trip to the C&TSRR, I had the chance to read Robert Turner's magnificent book about the history of the 64 miles of narrow gauge railway now preserved for us as the Cumbres and Toltec. The presents a comprehensive historical perspective on the railroad in addition to wonderful photographs dating back to inception in 1880. What really makes the book for me are the vignettes Turner includes that are written by those who worked on the line and have worked to save it.
Many interesting stories are included, perhaps the most moving of which is Carlos Llamas' account of becoming an engineer to continue a family tradition of railroad service begun by great grandfathers and continued through his grandfather, Selso Lopez. Carlos writes, "It's something I dreamed of, though I aimed only to make my grandfathers proud. My small gift to repay their combined 98 years of railroad service. I earned the Right Seat for them."
The Foreward is written by Bill Lock who reminds us that the C&TSRR has a character of authenticity: "Each year will bring new challenges for a railroad that is now . . . (well) beyond its expected life. However, these challenges are the kind of things that build character. The early Christian Apostle Paul said in his letter to the Romans that, 'Perseverance produces character and character produces hope.' For the majority of its . . . operation, the railroad has been producing character and hope."
As the railroad faces many new challenges, we would do well to be reminded of its remarkable resiliency through the years. Indeed, the character of this line was recognized early on; a newspaper editor enjoying the railroad's first formal excusion in October of 1880 wrote of its construction: " . . . it was a strong hearted railway, and although a little giddy at a thousand feet above the stream, it cut its way through the crags and among the monuments and bore onward . . ." (From Ticket to Toltec, page 20)
The character of the Cumbres and Toltec is as it was in 1880: defined by those dedicated to it.
Subject Author Posted

The Thunder of Their Passing

Tom Farmer August 14, 2004 08:07AM

Re: The Thunder of Their Passing

Jim Poston August 14, 2004 08:50AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.