Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Georgetown Loop in the eyes of Gregory Monroe

March 17, 2004 06:57PM
I hope the author of this book doesn't mind me using this.
I thought an appropriate thing to post was the beautiful poetry of Gregory Monroe in his 1994 book "Colorado's Modern Narrow Gauge Circle" by Fox Publications. This is all Mr. Monroe's writing, not mine.
Chapter 4: Whistles Over Clear Creek
"In the 1880's it would gain great fame. The railroad with a world wide attraction, the high bridge at "Devil's Gate".
Looping over itself in spirals of track as it climbed the steep valley. The "Georgetown Loop" it was properly called.
Twisting back and forth valley wall to valley wall. Crossing Clear Creek four times in the climb to old Silver Plume...
...on the way west to reach Leadville's rich mines, beckoning like a magnet across the high Divide.
Then time ran out, the great boom was over. The rails would not be needed, the Leadville dream too soon was dead.
But for the next half century thousands enjoyed the thrill of peering down at Clear Creek form the heights of the Devil's Gate.
From far and near they came to ride the trains. And be able to feel the Loop's special thrill.
Today this same excitement is still readily had. The Loop has been rebuilt, and Silver Plume again boasts narrow rails.
Trains still climb through this steep valley, crossing Clear Creek time after time...
...as steam engines chuff through the aspen and pine. Climbing ever higher over history's route west.
Yes, whistles still scream high over Clear Creek, the sound echoing down to old Georgetown.
While thousands again enjoy the thrill of peering down at Clear Creek from the heights of the Devil's Gate."
As some of you already know, but for those of you who do not; this railroad is one of the most famous and spectacular in the world. And those echos of steam locomotive whistles, reverberating down the canyon, trascending time, send chills up the spines of all true narrow gauge steam fans.
Shane Schabow
Subject Author Posted

The Georgetown Loop in the eyes of Gregory Monroe

Shane Schabow March 17, 2004 06:57PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.