Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

NG McKeens

January 29, 2004 10:55PM
Apparently there were some Narrow Gauge McKeen cars built. Trains magazine July 1960 had an article by William W. Kratville that stated "The first narrow gauge cars were built in 1912 and were sold to Queeensland Government Railways.These six cars were similar to the M-1- passenger type and also were converts from regular McKeen cars. They were shipped in many boxes each. Over hand rails the cars actually were 9 inches wider than their standard gauge counterparts. In true English practice they had buffers and the motorman's seat was on the left"
For sometime I have been trying to find the color of the S.P. and O & C McKeens. I had always thought they were some shade of red but can't find proof. If any of you have color information or a good idea where to look for it I would appreciate it.
From the same article "The little M-1 (the first McKeen) came from the shop sparkling in a rich maroon enamel body and jet black trucks. The lettering was silver lead, which soon was changed to gold. From this gaudy combination of colors came the moniker "Red Flash" for McKeen cars."
Subject Author Posted

NG McKeens

Jim Spicer January 29, 2004 10:55PM

Re: NG McKeens

Ted Miles January 30, 2004 11:00AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.