Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Idler flat remains?

August 10, 2003 10:23AM
During the posts below about one of John's great photos there is some talk about pipe train configuration that got me to thinking. I remembered one of Earl's posts about those idlers coming apart all the time while in pipe train service. From what I understand Monero canyon was littered with the remains of these flats.
Does anyone know of any photos that show the remains of these cars lying on the ROW? I've started looking around in my books and haven’t had any luck. I’m guessing that the D&RGW would remove whatever parts that could be salvaged and left the rest or was that even a concern that late in the game? What kind of damage was done to the cars? With the slack running in and out during all the grade changes and helper location in the train were they both pulled apart as well as compressed?
This is both a history question as well as a modeling question…I’m planning on running some pipe trains but if the idlers were coming apart I would also like to include some wreckage along the ROW.
Thanks,
Duane
Subject Author Posted

Idler flat remains?

Duane Richardson August 10, 2003 10:23AM

Re: Idler flat remains?

Don August 10, 2003 12:17PM

PRSL August 10, 2003 01:15PM

Don September 12, 2003 05:16PM

Dick Bell August 10, 2003 04:37PM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.