Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My recollection from a trip on the C&TS

July 21, 2003 05:48PM
Well, I would like to say that I think Roger's take on the C&TS is very accurate. I rode the train with my Dad on June 29, and it was a very positive experience. The trip was not without a problem, as the 487's air pump got filled with oil I think at Sublette. However, I didn't hear a single person complain about the delay, and I think most enjoyed being able to see Sublette for a while. At Osier, everyone enjoyed the food, and variety of it. I think it is far better than any previous year. And to give you all an idea of how full the train was, when we rode the bus to Antonito, my Dad and I got the last seats. The two Friend's volunteers had to stand or sit on the floor!
It was quite a wonderful experience for me as I got to meet many people while riding the platform of the coach (I only think I occupied my seat for about 15 minutes on the whole trip), and I was very encouraged when I noticed when I saw that two kid's, who were travelling with their grandfather (from Ohio) who wanted to let them experience narrow gauge, were really getting a kick out of the ride. Despite the flying cinders, no complaints.
Riding the train this time was very different than previous times. I don't know how many people knew the line was in hard times, but, unlike my previous visits, no complaints about the smoke, cinders, delays, nothing! Everyone there was enjoying the trip.
It was a little depressing to walk through the rather silent yard this year. Very different from 1997, when I was able to see 5 engines under steam there. But, there is a definite feeling when I was in the yard that things are happening. I could see the results of all of the Friends work (which, sadly, I had to cancel out on. Next year!). The cars left from last years Chama steam presented a remarkable set of what could be. And, one thing that really stood out to me was the overall appearance. While I had seen 5 engines under steam in 1997, they were quite grubby and nasty looking (I think this was only a very short time before 488 last ran). The yard was full of junk lying everywhere. now, don't get me wrong, Chama is still a true rail yard in every aspect, but I think that things look a lot better this year. True, a smaller amount of people, but, if trains continue to run full capacity, I think the ridership will grow once more.
To end this, I would like to thank everyone who has kept this railroad going. The Friends, the RGRPC, all the hard-working shop members, all the people of Antonito and Chama who keep the tourists stomachs full, and give them a place to call it a day, and find something to remember their trip, and everyone who has done something for the railroad.
I think that some of the brightest times are yet to come.
Subject Author Posted

My recollection from a trip on the C&TS

Grant Houston July 21, 2003 05:48PM

I agree

roger hogan July 22, 2003 10:26AM

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.